New to Toronto Renters Forum?

Our purpose is to enable renters to communicate with one another, and to make those informative conversations available, so that all renters can benefit from our collective knowledge. Click here to learn more about us...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

May 28, 2023, 05:55:04 am

Login with username, password and session length


Common Tenant Problems - Other Problems

Please add posts in appropriate sections!
For example, problems to do with Rent, or Evictions, etc., should be posted to those respective forum sections.

This area ("Other Problems") is for problems that do not yet have their own section.

If you feel that a particular tenant issue is needs its own forum section then you should post a request for the creation of a new section in the General Discussion area.

Questions not Covered Here?

If you have questions about your rights as a renter or are having problems with your landlord, then there are several terrific sources of reliable information available:
  • The Federation of Metro Tenant Associations (FMTA) is a renter advocacy organisation here in Toronto that has many experts who can answer your questions either by telephone (416-921-9494), postal-mail, or e-mail (

  • If you have questions about hearings at the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB), either because you or your landlord has scheduled a hearing or you are considering filing a complaint (“tenant application”) at the LTB, there are lawyers and community legal workers who can help. There is no cost for their service. These Tenant Duty Counsel advisors are available at most LTB offices, and are also available to speak with by telephone.

  • You can also speak with a layer at your local Community Legal Clinic (CLC) office. Your local CLC can provide you with legal advice or connect you with legal representation. Each CLC office services a specific area of the city; check their webpage for more information. It is usually best to visit during one of their “Drop In” times, if they have them. You can try telephoning, but these are busy offices, so it is usually faster to drop in than to call. You can find the CLC office that services your area by following this link.

Author Topic: Movie shooting in my building  (Read 793 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Charlotte Mickie

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Movie shooting in my building
« on: July 28, 2022, 06:23:00 pm »
Our landlord leased out a vacant apartment for a shoot--it's actually for an episode of tv series.  The production is very expensive, big, and while the shoot is only for a day, there was a lot of prep work.  The landlord gave very little notice, and in all honesty, I don't think the landlord expecting the level of activity/disruption the shoot would entail.  In any case, tenants are upset.  Since the landlord received compensation for the shoot, do tenants have any grounds to ask for compensation from the landlord?   I should note that our landlord also provided the TTC with an easement to do extensive work on our property and I understand (through the grapevine) that there was compensation for that as well.  Again there will be serious tenant inconvenience, although for a much longer period.  I am not sure the landlord could have resisted the easement (it's required to make the subway near us accessible), but still it doesn't seem right that tenants will be put out and the landlord will receive all the benefit.  I do realise all these disruptions make it harder to rent empty units, so the landlord is taking something of a loss...


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Movie shooting in my building
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 07:53:54 am »
I suppose you could try filing a T2 Application at the landlord and tenant board.  A T2 is for when the landlord has:
▪ seriously interfered with the reasonable enjoyment of the rental unit or the complex by you or a member of your household,
▪ withheld or interfered with vital services, care services, or meals,
▪ harassed, interfered with, obstructed, coerced or threatened you.
But I don't think that these sorts of applications have much chance of winning.


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 23
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Movie shooting in my building
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 05:57:20 pm »
Hi Charlotte,

I agree with Sandy's reply, and unfortunately I also agree that these sorts of proceedings (or, really, any complaint raised by tenants to the Landlord and Tenant Board) are long-shots with little chance of seeing justice.  The LTB isn't particarly predisposed to consider what it's like living somewhere owned by a difficult landlord.

The LTB does publish "Guidelines" that are sometimes helpful, for example, this one:

   Tenant Rights - Interpretation Guideline 6

This document has sections pertaining to T2 applications, for example regarding:  Harassement, Substantial Interference, and Withholding Vital Services, etc., that you might find informative.

But the truth is, unless the abuse that you are suffering is extrremely henious and undeniably documented, then you probably won't receive any satisfaction from the LTB.

Just FYI, here's a link to the T2 Application Form, and to an instructive pamphlet T2 - Application About Tenant Rights.

What do you think you are going to do?

- William


Copyright Notice

Website Contents are Copyright © 2021-2022
Forum Posts are Copyright © 2021-2022 by the original author of each forum entry.
Software is Copyright © Simple Machines Forum (SMF) and TinyPortal. is an open forum; it is the responsibility of each author to ensure the accuracy of statements they make.

The opinions expressed in entries are those of the original authors; they do not necessarily reflect the opinions of or its management.

Member Agreement | Privacy Policy